'When Duty Calls' - Final Poster

Here is the final finished poster for my action-comedy film ‘When Duty Calls’, which contains many of the conventions I found when analysing posters for films within and outside of the action-comedy genre.

I have taken inspiration from posters for movies, such as ‘Get Smart’, ‘The Fall Guy’, ‘The Naked Gun’, ‘Mr & Mrs Smith’ and ‘Back in Action’, which could all be categorised as action-comedy films. 

All of these posters combine action with humour, shown throughout by the use of dual protagonists, weapons and a tone that seems less serious or threatening than straight action films. 


Therefore I have decided to incorporate a bit of colour onto the poster (reflecting 'The Naked Gun') to emphasise the softening of the action genre with comedy to audiences clearly, as well as having the protagonists in a back to back position (framed similarly to many of the posters below) to suggest the conflict between them and the fact that the film will follow the two of them 'battling it out'. 

This is reinforced through the playful tagline ('Some Missions Hit Too Close to Home') which also highlights the domesticity of the film (reinforced by the fact that both characters are wearing casual clothes). 

By having both protagonists on the poster it makes it clear to the audience the genre of film through these intertextual references, as hopefully they will associate action-comedies with husband versus wife binary oppositions. I also used reviews and the references to the director's other work to reinforce the genre to the audience.

Comments

Popular Posts