My Chosen Genre for My Film Marketing Campaign - Action


Now that I have looked at a range of marketing materials from different genres, I have decided to pick the action genre for the film marketing campaign that I will create. I like fast-paced narratives with intense action that gives the audience an adrenaline rush, and the thrill of the epic action scenes fully immerse the spectator throughout the whole film, alongside the way that films from the genre create enigma. I will attempt to incorporate some of these elements of genre in my trailers and my poster.
 

In an action film trailer the audience typically expect the trailer either to start off in the middle of intense action or build towards action in a thrilling and suspenseful way, prior to the action beginning (which is frequently shown in a montage towards the end of the trailer, accompanied by intense music). Alternatively, action film trailers often begin with the spectator introduced to the protagonist and their skills or personality so that the viewer can get a glimpse of what the character is like and how they might react in dangerous situations that will inevitably occur throughout the rest of the film the trailer is promoting.


Before I create my marketing campaign I need to gain a detailed understanding of the genre I will be working in. Genre can be defined in different ways and each genre has specific convention related to the relevant areas:
  • Iconography
  • Narrative structure
  • Character types
  • Cinematography
  • Editing
  • Music and sound effects
  • Intended effects and typical themes
  • Sub genres, hybrids and franchises 

In the next few posts I will be looking into each area based off the action genre. I will also carefully consider action sub-genres, such as action-comedies, action-thrillers and action-romances, in case I decide to work within one of those sub-genres.

Comments

Popular Posts